Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mary, Mary quite contrary, How does your garden grow?




Am I the only one who is getting sick of squash about this time of year? Seriously. I think one plant could feed the whole neighborhood. Has anyone tried to make zucchini bread with yellow squash... it's on my "TO DO"list for this week... I will let you know if it works. The things we grew this year:
tomatoes (can't get enough with fresh basil and mozzarella)
cucumbers
yellow squash
zucchini
cantaloupe- not ready yet
watermelon- small but delicious
green peppers
purple peppers- can't wait to try these
honeydew melon- way better than from the store
lemon cucumbers- love these.. can't get enough
mint- looks pretty, smells delightful but now what do I do with it?
pumpkins- threatening to take over the world- pictures to come later
peter pan squash- of course we are the Darlings you know!
red raspberries
strawberries
yellow raspberries- sooooo much better than red.. trust me
Now tell me what is in your garden? Especially if you really like it.

6 comments:

Darilyn said...

Potatoes, that's whats in our garden. At least one thing in there. I love them.

About that mint. You could freeze some in icecubes to put in lemonade. You can dry it and make a tea out of it. Other than that I'm not sure what else to do.

Our pumpkins are going crazy as well.

Don't you just love gardens?

Krista Lou Cook said...

Ummm ahhh, tried the gardeningthing last year, after the bunnies ate all that could be reached the sun schorched the rest when I house sat or nannied. I decided that gardening would be a project for another time in my life.

Mint: besides adding to water, cantthink of a thing :) Nxt year try lemon thyme. Oh my I love this herb. It is the best to mince and add to fruit. Just the fruit and the herb, I tested it out on missionaries, a hole zone confrence. They ate it all and were begging to know what those "little green things" were.

Quinn said...

I grow kids and soccer balls in my garden! (-8

Franziska Patterson said...

I can't believe you're growing all of what you listed. I'm jealous!!!! Well, we don't have a garden, but we do have a balcony, and we are growing ginormous tomatoe plants, red bell peppers, and we had a zuccini plant that didn't make it for some reason, and also cucumbers that died on us. Hopefully, we'll have better luck next year with growing veggies on our balcony.

P.S. I have a tasty but easy Thai dish that requires mint if you'd like it.

Meike said...

Gusti, reading your list of what you grow in your garden makes me a) want to have a garden and b) want to live in a climate where I can grow all those things that you listed.
Same as Fran I only have a balcony (you have seen it :) and I am growing yummy tomatoes on it, basil, rosemary, parsley and chives. I wish I could say that I use those herbes everyday for my cooking. But unfortunately I only use them occasionally. But they sure look pretty and smell good on my balcony :)

Terri said...

Gusti,
About the zucchini, my friend Rita, just gave me a recipe for
Z' Apple Cobbler
8 c. peeled & chopped zucchini
2/3 c. lemon juice
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 c. flour
3/4 c. cold butter
In large saucepan over med. heat, cook & stir zucchini & lemon juice until zucchini is tender about 15-20 min. Add sugar & spices & cook one more min.
remove from heat. Cut butter into flour (like pie crust) till crumbly
Stir 1/2 c. crust mix into hot zucchini mix. Pour zucchini into
9 X 12 pan & top with rest of crust mix. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake 375 for 35-45 min or till golden brown. Serve warm or cold (preferably with ice cream)
I fixed this yesterday, & when Rex ate it I ask him what he thought it was, he gave me a very strange look & said "Apple Cobbler"
I don't see any reason why yellow squash wouldn't work just the same.
Love you, Mom