Monday, February 1, 2010

361 days and counting

This Friday it will be exactly 1 year since Kira was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. What a long, strange trip its been. The things that I once thought were really hard are not nearly as difficult and some of the stuff that came so easily is now giving us nothing but grief. The only constant is that it will always be changing. At least for the next 7 years or so. Wow do I sound vague. I was trying to avoid the humdrum details. Rereading what I have written just makes me sound ridiculous. Oh well, I know what I mean. Anyway what I really am wondering is if we should celebrate the 1 year mark in some way? A party with friends over…  Kira’s queen for the day… a pajama and sappy movie day… do something entirely different… go back to Primary Childrens Hospital and visit any kids there that are newly diagnosed… ??? It was such a life changing event for all of us that it seems like we need to give it some recognition. I would LOVE to hear some of your ideas.

And here are a few pictures that I didn’t have the courage to share back then.

gusti cell phone 256

This is the nurse in the ICU showing her the syringe that would administer her 1st shot.

gusti cell phone 257

This is my brave girl breathing through it.

gusti cell phone 260

This is Kira showing me that she is going to be just fine.

5 comments:

Quinn said...

I liked the idea of going back to primary children's and visiting. It helps to realize how far you've come and it is always comforting for "newbies" to see someone who has "gone before" and made it through the tough times. Happy one year to Kira!! Way to go girl.

Robyn said...

What a champ Kira is! I vote along with Quinn, what a great thing that would have been for Kira if a girl around her age was there a year after her diagnosis to let her know it is all going to work out.

Anthony Darling said...

wow, does that bring back a lot of memories and emotions. It is amazing to think how well she is doing with it, better than I ever thought she could.

Darilyn said...

I can't even imagine what it would be like to go through all of that with one of my daughters. You are all brave and your hope and determination inspire me. We are trying to get Heidi to stick a contact in her eye and she is freaking out over it. My vote is for primary childrens. What hope she would give not only other children and teens but the parents I'm sure would be so grateful.

Gretchen said...

You almost made me cry with this post! Kira is my hero! I'm with Quinn on going to Primary's and visiting the newly diagnosed kids. Also, if you have a pajama and sappy movie party, I want to be invited!