Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Attack of the killer Pumpkins

As referenced in previous posts here are my much anticipated pumpkin pictures. This is 1 pumpkin plant that thinks it owns the whole back yard. Now it's trying to creep up my back steps and into the house. Should I fear for my life? Or do I teach it who's boss around here with say a butcher knife? Seriously does anyone know how to prune a pumpkin plant?


Here are some more pictures of whats 'growing on' around here.... (come on am I the only one laughing or do you think I'm punny too?) :-}


So one last question, if you notice the gourdy looking thing is growing on a chain link fence. The plant belongs to my neighbor but the "fruit" is on my side. Who harvests the fruit? If I pick it do I just take it around to their house and say, "ummmm....here's your gourd, have a nice day?" I don't even know when to pick it or exactly what it is? If it were just 1 item I would probably just let it hang there till my neighbor said something about it, but we have 4 different "fruits" of 2 varieties that are growing on my side. I don't really want to see them just go to waste and yet I hardly ever see my neighbors to ask. Does anyone know what the etiquette is for this sort of thing?

7 comments:

Quinn said...

Haha, you are punny! Wow, that's footage for a new Halloween thriller. I don't know about America, but there is definite ettiquette her in Germany - can't remember what exactly, something about apples hanging out onto a street, owner needs to be asked.....?

Serenity Rachel said...

"Pruning pumpkin vines enhances the plant's growth. Let those main vines grow as long as possible, but trim all secondary vines (those that grow off the main vines) to about 10 feet. Pinch off all tertiary vines (those that come off secondaries) as soon as they appear. If you run out of room, vines can be trained to grow back in the direction they came from, or can be tied to a trellis or fence and so grown upward for more leaf space." Hope that helps but I think you are actually supposed to keep pruning and pinching in the early stages to prevent it from getting too huge. If you cut off too much at one time their won't be enough foliage to support all the roots.

Krista Lou Cook said...

Your family makes me laugh! If it is a gourd it won't be picked in a while. Who knows maybe it will just call out to you one day and say pick me pick me! Maybe... your neighbors goards grew like your pumkins and overtook thier house. Maybe they are yelling muffled cries right now?!

Deborah said...

I asked Seymour and ( as i expected--I seem to remember this from some ethics class in the days of yore LOL) no matter where the plant originates if the fruit is on your property it's yours. You can also prune any part of a tree or plant thats on your side. HTH

Paul said...

The rule at our house is that if anything grows over the fence from yard to the neighbors, we are happy to let the neighbor have it. Come to think of it, we give most of what grows on our side of the fence to our neighbors also................

Sarah said...

Where's the pic. of the pumpkin that's growing halfway out of the planter? The "Butt" pumpkin!?

Alaskan Darlings said...

Ok that made me really hungry! I sometimes wish we were in Utah and could have a beautiful garden