Saturday, June 14, 2008

A lump in my throat

Wow, I had a tuff night last night. I am an affiliate photographer with a nonprofit organization called Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. From the first time I learned of it, I knew I had to join. We offer infant rememberance photography, to families that for various medical reasons will not be bringing their babies home from the hospital with them. I got my first phone call last night at 2:30am and arrived at the hospital an hour later. The baby had passed before I arrived. I was able to spend the next hour photographing the baby and parents in a quiet little hospital room. Not many words were spoken, for words seemed so inadequate to convey the true emotions that were so obviously felt by all of us in that room. I cried freely on the drive home. I am overwhelmed to have been able to participate in the short sweet life of this little baby. I post this to increase awareness about this amazing organization. In a week or so I will deliver a DVD slideshow with beautiful music and images from last night. I know it's not enough but I am conforted to know I was able to give.

3 comments:

Teri said...

That is such an amazing gift that you will be giving to that family shortly...all I can say is WOW!

candace said...

Gusti- I just got my email that I am now accepted... I am looking forward to giving families something so precious, that family is going to appreciate your gift so much and treasure it forever. I am going to have to get on to read your blog here later tonight I am freaking out you have done so much already and I am so behind on reading! Ahhh!

Amy C. Quick said...

What a great stroy...and I think the first tiem a blog has made me cry...but what a great opportunity.