Saturday, October 31, 2009

A short adventure

We had a grand scheme planned for a few fun days in Denver, but we all know life doesn't always turn out like we plan. We had to go for one of Kira’s study check ups but we also had tickets to see the musical Wicked. Kali and Kyle have not had the pleasure and I had promised that I would find a way for them to see it. Thus hatched my plan.

However a severe snowstorm was NOT part of my plan. This was a quick Fall trip as far as I was concerned.

DSCF0625

Somewhere near Wamsutter, Wyoming my plans were thrown off course as we hit a slick spot where snow had blown onto the road. If you look at the semi heading towards us, that is about where we lost control and spun a 360 before actually going off sideways till we came to a stop. I was afraid that we were going to hit one of the signs or posts but luckily we missed all of them.

DSCF0629

DSCF0630

After a quick call to 911 they dispatched highway patrol and a tow truck. One and a half hours later a different tow truck arrived and pulled us out and warned us how bad the roads were just up ahead. He told us to go back to Rock Springs for the night because the roads were closed anyway and we would not be getting anywhere near Denver. So what do you do in Rock Springs for fun?

DSCF0645 

Eat at McDonalds of course and submit yourself to complete silliness because it is the best way to celebrate the fact that everyone is alive and well and miraculously not hurt.

DSCF0642

We learned that Kyle and I can both touch our noses with our tongue. Kira has the longest tongue but lacks the coordination to make it touch.

DSCF0652

I can puff my cheeks out the farthest.

DSCF0660

Kali is the only one who can take a handheld picture of all of us without cutting off important parts of faces.

Kyle prefers a strawberry sunday over hot fudge? Go figure.

DSCF0663

Kali makes the best worried look.

And lastly Kyle and Kira can actually pass for twins when dressed accordingly.

In the morning we waited for I 80 to reopen till noon, but with record snowfall for that time of year it didn’t. We decided to head home. What a crazy trip.

3 comments:

Amy C. Quick said...

Seems crazy to say so, but sounds like you guys made the best of a bad situation and had a great time. Another adventure for the Darlings...

Darilyn said...

I'm so glad you are all okay. What a fun mom you are.

Gretchen said...

I am SOOOOO glad you guys are ok. The one time I slid on a slick road, I ended up on the other side, hitting another car nearly head-on. You guys are super lucky. On a side note, I really enjoyed your testimony today. Love Ya!!!